We decided to write this blog as a way of sharing some of our stories from past experiences fishing, tying flies, guiding, and traveling. Most of which are completely 100% true except for the names of people, some stories are slightly embellished and some are mostly made up. It's really for you to figure it out and for us to have some fun writing down some of the truly good memories we have had while immersed in fly fishing.

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Grannoms on the Little J

Hello Everyone,

I know it seems like all that I have been fishing is the Little J, well that's really all that I have spent time fishing because of my crazy schedule.  This past Sunday was a beautiful day to be out on the stream and the insect activity was even better!

Grannoms were apparent yesterday but it was a non-stop swarm on Sunday.  I was thankful that I wasn't getting hit with sleet or snow with the weather we had in Central PA on Saturday.  Sunday there was a change in what was flying through the air.  I was continually getting pelted in the head and sunglasses with the grannom caddis swarm (and BWO's) that were moving throughout the stream.

I began fishing around 3:00PM and the last fish I reeled in was at 7:58PM (on a dry fly).  I switched between a bi-visible and a elk hair caddis and the only time I changed flies was when my fly got beat up and I had to put a crisper imitation on the end of my line.  The height of the feeding frenzy took place between 6:00PM - 7:00PM where the water was boiling with aggressively rising fish.

If you get a chance I would get to Fishing Creek, Lower Spring Creek, or the Little Juniata to take part in this remarkable hatch that we are lucky to fish on an annual basis.  Special thanks to Kevin Best at Nomad nets for providing me with such a durable and dependable hand net!  It's been getting a ton of use again for the second season!

Below are a few pictures of a few of the longer fish that I hooked into, enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment