We decided to write this blog as a way of sharing some of our stories from past experiences fishing, tying flies, guiding, and traveling. Most of which are completely 100% true except for the names of people, some stories are slightly embellished and some are mostly made up. It's really for you to figure it out and for us to have some fun writing down some of the truly good memories we have had while immersed in fly fishing.

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Bob Cusack

Bob singing along to a little Deano (Dean Martin)
I have had the pleasure to work for Mr. Bob Cusack for the past four summers at his lodge in Alaska. Bob is a genuinely great guy although you wouldn't always know if you just met him because he's hard headed, strong willed, and sometimes quite abrasive. My first day arriving at the lodge in June of 2008 Bob landed in his little Piper Super Cub, walked over to me shook my hand and said "I'm Bob, you must be Brian." I shook his hand said hello nice to meet you and he replied, "I usually like my guides a little smaller than you, you are a pretty big boy." Keep in mind I was about 40 pounds heavier at that time. Even still every now and again I am dubbed "big boy," "Lard ass," or "tiny." Bob usually doesn't mix words, he is to the point and says what he's thinking. I remember asking Bob once what his favorite rod was and he said something to the effect of I don't know and I don't much care they all throw line and that's all that matters. Tie on a hook with some yarn on and go catch some fish. 

Bob landing the Super Cub in the mouth of the "Secret River"
Photo by Kris Kennedy
Bob has been the owner/operator/pilot of Cusack's Alaska Lodge for 30 years now and before that he operated out of a 60 foot barge on the Alagnak River. He has been a bush pilot for over 40 years and he has been flying safely for all of those years. There is a saying "There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there aren't any old bold pilots." Well Bob was surely a bold pilot for a while he often talks about the early days where he used to fly over native villages, cut his engine, and yell out the the window "I'm the greatest!" But those days are long behind him. There isn't a single person I would rather be flying with in Alaska than Bob. I know on tough days he will always make the right choice, and that is the safe choice. He is a family man and for as long as they've been in the business his wife Lula has been the chef, one of the finest I have ever come across, and his daughters Marisa and Nicole have been there willing to help with whatever they can (they both make a mean red velvet cake!). If I were to go anywhere in Alaska I would go to Cusack's Alaska Lodge. The fishing is unreal and there is no doubt in my mind it will be the trip of your lifetime. Hell, I may even be your guide?


8 comments:

  1. What a nice post, Brian! Great and accurate descriptions, entertaining, and then you really brought it all home with the Deano reference.

    The site looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole,

    Thanks so much for the kind words! I am really glad you liked it. Like anything, this blog is a work in progress, but we are working really hard at it so it's always great to get positive feedback! So thanks again!

    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spent 10 days up there with Bob & Lula and Tibbets about 20 years ago, had a great time. By the recent picture of Cusack, he shouldnt be callin anyone "lard ass or big boy". HeHe. Happy to hear the fishings still great.

    Wayne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice Wayne! I'm sure Bob is the same fun guy you went fishing with 20 years ago! They continue to run a great cozy family run operation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had the pleasure to be his client and his assistant guide for a while, he is all you described and then some

    ReplyDelete
  6. He certainly is! and I am glad you feel we did his character justice. So thank you for the kind words and stay tuned is as we will continue to share great fishing experiences from the lodge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey does "Dapper Bob Cusack" still wear those fancy little pimp hats while he's fishing. Best of luck next season guy's.

    Wayne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Of course he does! You can actually see one in the picture above on this post, probably his favorite... He actually has several different fancy hats depending on his mood I think. Or which one he can find. He also sports Crocs now as his choice wading boot. I think there is a Cusack model in the Croc line.. but don't quote me on that.

    ReplyDelete