We decided to write this blog as a way of sharing some of our stories from past experiences fishing, tying flies, guiding, and traveling. Most of which are completely 100% true except for the names of people, some stories are slightly embellished and some are mostly made up. It's really for you to figure it out and for us to have some fun writing down some of the truly good memories we have had while immersed in fly fishing.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Destination: State College, PA Spring Creek

Spring Creek is what I would consider my "home creek."  The great thing about Spring Creek is that there are so many different spots to fish.  Specific spots will remain untold but the insects, and other inhabitants of this beautiful creek make it a sought after location to fish before you die.  

Notable hatches to fish include an incredible Sulphur, Blue-Winged Olive, Caddis, and Light Cahill hatches, just to name a few.  When the insects aren't on top of the water, a fisherman can usually go subsurface and produce large fish.  If the water is up or off colored Spring Creek can be incredible area to sling big sculpins, slumpbusters, wooly buggers and any other type of big meaty fly.  I spend countless number of hours fishing this creek in pursuit of big brown and rainbow trout.  I even managed to catch a 14" tiger trout that I think escaped from one of the hatcheries during a flood.  

This is the stream that taught me how to fly fish and for that I consider myself incredibly fortunate. I am lucky to have the opportunity to fish it for hundreds of hours each year.  One thing that is unfortunate is that up until this year, I never carried any type of camera on the stream.  I've caught a bunch of fish over twenty inches and at this point all I can do is think about some of the insanely large trout that I've had on the end of my line on one of my favorite streams in the world.  But you know what, I can recollect every single one of those fish in my mind! 

Enjoy!    











No comments:

Post a Comment