We decided to write this blog as a way of sharing some of our stories from past experiences fishing, tying flies, guiding, and traveling. Most of which are completely 100% true except for the names of people, some stories are slightly embellished and some are mostly made up. It's really for you to figure it out and for us to have some fun writing down some of the truly good memories we have had while immersed in fly fishing.

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Destination: Yellowstone National Park


Another one of our readers writes us today to share his favorite fly fishing destination: Yellowstone National Park. I had the luxury of spending some time out there myself and when you can get away from the crowds, the park is truly beautiful. The Gibbon River was one of the rivers I spent some time on and had an absolute blast on a tan caddisfly hatch. Well Caleb we appreciate you story and your adventure! I'm sure you had a great time out there and congratulations!! Cheers.


Hey Kirk and Brian,

My wife and I just got back this morning from our honeymoon to Yellowstone National Park. While fly fishing wasn't the main purpose of the trip, we ended up fishing together on the Gibbon and Lamar Rivers, respectively. While the Gibbon didn't yield anything, my wife Amy caught her first fish ever when we fished the Lamar! She was using a yellow stimulator with a caddis pupa dropper, and the cutthroat took the dropper. I was fishing downstream from her and heard her yell "I got a fish!" I put my rod down and went up to help her get it in the net - I didn't realize how big it was until I went to net it! To prove to her friends that it was actually her who got it, I took a picture of her holding the net and then one of the fish (both are attached). It really made my day to see her so excited about catching her first fish (and on the fly, to boot).

One evening Amy accommodated me by sitting on the bank reading while I fished at $3 Bridge on the Madison - the caddis were all over (brown, size 16 and black, size 18) and a few stoneflies were still in the air as well. I tied on a tan X-caddis with a caddis pupa dropper, and this rainbow took the X-caddis. It was a great night out in one of my favorite spots.

Anyway, just wanted to share those with you guys. Hope the fishing is good - tight lines!

Caleb





No comments:

Post a Comment