We decided to write this blog as a way of sharing some of our stories from past experiences fishing, tying flies, guiding, and traveling. Most of which are completely 100% true except for the names of people, some stories are slightly embellished and some are mostly made up. It's really for you to figure it out and for us to have some fun writing down some of the truly good memories we have had while immersed in fly fishing.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

"Treat" of the week



The treat of the week goes out to Ron Walsh (not his real name). Ron was and still may be one of the worst clients of all time. He talked us into doing the big float trip only at first he wanted to go in and be picked up on the same day. Keep in mind this is normally a three day two night float trip. After convincing him that it didn't make sense to float that in one day, he agreed to stay over night, "But only one night!" Ron managed to complain his entire way down the river, the fishing was good but we were covering a lot of water. It was important to set up camp far enough down river that we could make it to the take out in time.. Night one came and surprise surprise Ron complained about dinner; "I was told I was going to get steak, air dropped for dinner, and where is the dessert?" I also didn't bring him facewash or contact solution (I don't even wear contacts). Needless to say we had an awesome time around the campfire, the conversation was full of positive energy. Day two rolls around and let me tell you breakfast was "positively inedible" so he eats my oatmeal after eating two bites of his own. I was pretty tired of Mr. Walsh at this point and the day was coming to an end so I decided to take the lead and just try to stay out of ear shot.. Big mistake, Ron decides it's time for a nap and falls asleep in his raft. Since he won't row and we are a little behind schedule I tie him to my boat and tell him "Just steer yourself around rocks and gravel bars, I will do the rest." Twenty minutes later we're stuck and Ron is sitting in his raft on top of the gravel bar I just told him to avoid. Not only will he not get up or row or anything he doesn't say one word when I tell him to work his way off the bar. I have to trudge up river, reach under his raft and lift him off the gravel bar. Then when he starts floating I have to run back down river to catch my boat because being the asshole that Ron is he doesn't stop his boat once it starts floating... The only saving grace to this day was that Ron took a header into the airplane strut at pick up and that I didn't have to fly back with him. Kirk and I fished our way back to the mouth of the river and I caught this fish.


No comments:

Post a Comment