We decided to write this blog as a way of sharing some of our stories from past experiences fishing, tying flies, guiding, and traveling. Most of which are completely 100% true except for the names of people, some stories are slightly embellished and some are mostly made up. It's really for you to figure it out and for us to have some fun writing down some of the truly good memories we have had while immersed in fly fishing.

Friday, August 3, 2012

Afternoon Kayak Trip

Yesterday I took the kayak out after work in search of something.. It had been a few days since I wet a fly line and I was seriously getting the itch. I decided I was going to head out after work, I packed my bag, threw in an extra water bottle, and made sure my camera was charged. 

First, let me be clear that I am in no way an Olympic kayaker. It takes me quite a bit of time and sweat to navigate long distances in these little plastic boats. 

I spent the majority of the first hour chasing around a couple of larger barracuda just trying to get the skunk off. No luck. 

I finally took off up a creek in search of something, a bonefish, a tarpon, a crab? I didn't care I just needed to feel a pull on the end of my line. It took me about 45 minutes of straight rowing until I got to where I thought I needed to go (I went to the wrong spot). I paddled in slowly, tons of bait fish swimming all around me. I was starting to get excited. I was easing in deep into these mangroves and deep into the creek when I spotted a tail. I unhooked the fly, stripped out enough line to make the presentation, shot the cast, landed it softly, waited, waited, strip, strip, strip, strip.... Nothing. Repeat. Nothing. Switch flies, readjust kayak, repeat. Nothing. 


2 minutes later a 4 foot nurse shark cruises right up my kayak in about 10 inches of water. Looks right at me smiles and gives me the middle fin. 

The only thing I ended up hooking that day was a rather large blue crab that was very aggressively into my 1/0 chartreuse deceiver. 

Back to the drawing board. I got a new hot spot I'll check out sometime next week I'm sure. 










No comments:

Post a Comment