We decided to write this blog as a way of sharing some of our stories from past experiences fishing, tying flies, guiding, and traveling. Most of which are completely 100% true except for the names of people, some stories are slightly embellished and some are mostly made up. It's really for you to figure it out and for us to have some fun writing down some of the truly good memories we have had while immersed in fly fishing.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Archery Elk Hunt

For those of you that are curious we did in fact kill a bull elk on our hunting trip out west. We were high up in the Eagles Nest Wilderness area in Summit County Colorado when Brad Grgurich shot his 5 by 5 bull. Believe it or not it was night one when the shooting occurred.

We had just finished a three hour long horseback ride, seven miles up into the mountains, got our tents laid out when we decided to scout some territory. We all broke up into groups of two and went our own ways, scouting different drainages to hunt on. 

Brad described his bull encounter as this (I'm paraphrasing): It was about 5 minutes until being too dark to see and I heard a crack I didn't think much of it because there were so many squirrels around I just figured it was another one. I glanced over just in time to see a bull walking straight towards me. Now my dad had been calling sporadically all night and he was about 70 yards away from me up the hill so it was probably looking for him, but it was coming right at me. I came to full draw and it looked straight at me and thankfully kept walking it turned broadside at about 25 yards and I tried to time the shot because he was moving... Pretty standard Brad. An underwhelming story for what would have had my adrenaline up and had me shaking. He made a fantastic double lung shot on a 700 pound animal, with that shot in mind this elk still ran 1,000 yards across a steep creek bed up the other side and buried itself in some thick pine trees.

The result - 



For the rest of the pictures from the trip accompanied by some background music check out the videos tab on the blog or the website here.



No comments:

Post a Comment