We decided to write this blog as a way of sharing some of our stories from past experiences fishing, tying flies, guiding, and traveling. Most of which are completely 100% true except for the names of people, some stories are slightly embellished and some are mostly made up. It's really for you to figure it out and for us to have some fun writing down some of the truly good memories we have had while immersed in fly fishing.

Friday, September 28, 2012

"Treat" of the Week



I have been thinking about the right forum to present the back story on how why I don't have any pictures to show for my last trip into the everglades and I figured "Treat" of the Week has to be my best venue. 

I already shared the majority of that day with you, including showing you the fly I was throwing "Hunting Season." But, if you need a refresher you can always hop back to the blog "Baby Tarpon in Flamingo." 

So it was nearing the end of our morning and we decided it would be best if we tried to get up in one of these creeks that was pumping water out. Figuring if tarpon were around they would be chowing on the baitfish flooding back out into the bight. Well we were correct only it was super tight in there. We are talking 12 feet of creek and a 4 foot wide boat with overhanging mangroves and other nonsense. I was stuck roll casting for rolling tarpon, it just wasn't a successful plan. So I gave Chris the bow of the boat to go after them with a spinning rod and weedless tube pattern. I sat back and watched as he jumped off one more good sized tarpon and missed a big snook. We were on our way back out into the mouth when I decided it would be a good idea to stand up on the poling platform and start casting (it wasn't). Well I'm up there for a couple minutes and I think I said something to the effect of "I could get used to casting from this high up." It was right about that time where the boat went from a meager 2 miles per hour to a dead stop and I was in mid cast on the edge of the platform.. 

The next thing I know I am waist deep in everglades muck, my crocs are buried and my phone is vibrating in my pocket.. Not good. I jumped back in the boat careful as I can be about the fly rod, which never got wet by the way, and rip my phone out of my pocket to see the flash... flashing. Welp. There goes that phone... 

The topper. I got out of the water and look to my left and there is about a 6 foot shark cruising on the same flat as us.. I guessed six feet because there was about a 4 foot gap between its dorsal fin and it's tail. That makes it about 6 feet long right? Right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment