We decided to write this blog as a way of sharing some of our stories from past experiences fishing, tying flies, guiding, and traveling. Most of which are completely 100% true except for the names of people, some stories are slightly embellished and some are mostly made up. It's really for you to figure it out and for us to have some fun writing down some of the truly good memories we have had while immersed in fly fishing.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

"Treat" of the Week



The "Treat" this week is fresh in my memory bank. This week I haven't had a lot of time to get fishing and when I hop out and get to the stream with only a few hours to of fishing left, I expect a number of things. The most important being some space to myself to go and just fish. I'm not asking for a lot of room maybe like 100 yards of river, 50 at least. That's not a lot when you think about it.. I'm basically hoping that I get one run, from top to bottom, to fish through. 


That said last weekend I went to one of my favorite spots on Spring Creek for a little after work action because I had heard the sulphurs were really starting to turn on.  I got to the water and there were a few people there but they were fishing down through and by the time I got on the water they were out of sight and I had about 150 yards clear of other anglers. I step in and immediately pick up a couple fish on a pheasant tail. I start seeing fish swirling all around me to emergers and nymphs so I throw on a couple of wet flies and start swinging them through the tail end of the run. About the same time I pick up a fish in the tail out of the run I see a spin fisherman rigging up his ugly stick on the bank behind me. He's about 10 feet down stream of me standing on the bank. I'm thinking to myself, there is no way this guy is going to just walk in right next to me... Then I see him pull out a jar of power bait and that's when I know I'm screwed. Bait fisherman = douche about 90% of the time. They have no ethics about them when it comes to fishing, and you better not start catching fish near them or they will be in your back pocket in no time. It amazes me how little respect for water and proximity bait fisherman have, and then I saw opening day of trout season and saw all of these jagaloons standing asshole to elbow drifting meal worms for stocked trout, and that's when I realized that it's ingrained in their mind to stay close to someone who is catching fish. Because stocked trout get dumped out of a bucket into the river and all stay in the first hole they run into. 


Well bait turd on Spring Creek there are 5,000 fish per square mile. Leave me alone! Please stop throwing your giant orange cork bobbers up into my run. And for future reference, when fish are chowing down sulphurs and caddisflies your power bait isn't going to work. You should stick to the Little Bald Eagle River or Canoe Creek, there are plenty of stocked fish you can kill there... 

No comments:

Post a Comment