We decided to write this blog as a way of sharing some of our stories from past experiences fishing, tying flies, guiding, and traveling. Most of which are completely 100% true except for the names of people, some stories are slightly embellished and some are mostly made up. It's really for you to figure it out and for us to have some fun writing down some of the truly good memories we have had while immersed in fly fishing.

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Weekly Fishing Report

Kirk and I split up this week because we didn't have any of the same days off. I got a day off Wednesday and I took off towards fishing creek with my buddy Harry Tomlin. After a minor miscommunication and wrong turn we found our way to the water. It was kind of a slow morning into the early afternoon with only because Harry lost a monster when it wrapped him around a submerged tree branch. After lunch we hopped back in the car and went down stream a ways to a nice open flat, flanked by two nice deep runs. That's where I had my success I couldn't bring anything to the surface on BWO's or small black stones, which were in abundance. So I went to the nymph game determined to get better at small pocket water fishing. I picked up a couple on Pheasant Tail nymphs and one on a little red Copper John. Harry's fly of the day was a Rainbow Warrior. The warrior pattern has been great on all of our streams in the area this year. It's been a go to fly when the fishing is tough. I can't wait to get back to Fishing Creek, the area is beautiful and the best part.. I saw two more fisherman the entire day on the water. You can't get that on Spring Creek these days.


Spring Creek:


The water flows have remained low although we've received a few rain showers but it is still not enough to get the streams back to normal water levels.  Unlike Brian's peaceful fishing, most of the fishing that I've done has been walking away from the crowds that have been jam packed on most of Spring Creek.


Lighter tippet remains the key to catching picky trout.  I've continued to have luck with Olive Scuds, Sow Bugs, Sucker Spawn, Rainbow Warriors, Baetis Emergers, and of course size 18 - 20 Blue Winged Olive patterns.  The warmer days have been fun to get out on the streams but I haven't had any time free to fish during the middle of the day.  Most of the fishing that I've been doing has been catching the tail end of the BWO hatches and into dusk.  The air temps have continued to be unseasonably warm and this has allowed me to get into some good fish up until nightfall.


This weekend, I'm going to spend some time fishing Spruce Creek to see if I can entice any of the mammoth trout from some of the beautiful public water.  The two pictures below are just a few of the massive trout that I've been lucky enough to land!


Big female caught on Sucker Spawn
Male Rainbow caught on a Black Leech
  

No comments:

Post a Comment