We decided to write this blog as a way of sharing some of our stories from past experiences fishing, tying flies, guiding, and traveling. Most of which are completely 100% true except for the names of people, some stories are slightly embellished and some are mostly made up. It's really for you to figure it out and for us to have some fun writing down some of the truly good memories we have had while immersed in fly fishing.

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Spring Creek Follow-Up

Last night we got a little rain but it was not enough make any real impact streams condition. I checked the USGS stream gauges, looked at the farmers almanac online (Maybe for the first time ever) and for whatever it's worth it said that March 2nd and March 3rd would be the best day to fish in the next week or two.

The weather reports were calling for a beautiful but windy afternoon and I couldn't pass this up, plus I finally had a free afternoon to fish from 11:00AM - 3:00PM.

I went to Spring Creek to see how the various insect emergences would peak the interest of the beautiful Spring Creek trout. The BWO's started picking up as I took my first step into the stream and it was consistent with action until about 2:00PM. Even after 2:00PM the fish were still working on top but I wanted to switch over to sucker spawn to see if I could fool any larger trout.

The BWO's that I was fishing with were size 18 and I had a lot of success catching a majority of the fish that were working on top. As of late, the sucker spawn has continued to work with increasing success. I think this should continue as more Suckers get further along in their spawning cycle.


Brown Trout with a size 18 BWO
16" Brown Trout with a nice view of the Antron Sucker Spawn
Below are a few pictures of some nice brown trout that I caught today on Spring Creek. I ended up catching 14 fish, one large rainbow that slipped off the hook mid battle, but I'll be heading out again tomorrow to see if I can reconnect. I had a lot of fun on the stream today, I hope you enjoy the pics!




No comments:

Post a Comment