We decided to write this blog as a way of sharing some of our stories from past experiences fishing, tying flies, guiding, and traveling. Most of which are completely 100% true except for the names of people, some stories are slightly embellished and some are mostly made up. It's really for you to figure it out and for us to have some fun writing down some of the truly good memories we have had while immersed in fly fishing.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

"Treat" of the week


You know who my least favorite clients are? Cry babies. These people are the same people that expect every day of their fishing trip to be bright, shiny, and blue. The birds are chirping, the fish are jumping on their hook, each bigger than the last, and everything goes exactly like their warped minds tell them it should. Well these exact same people can't fish worth two shits. They complain about everything while not being able to cast 10 feet, no not 10 feet past my oars, litterally 10 feet! How many fish will sit 10 feet from you, especially when you are floating down a river? Answer, not many. This specific group of people may have been the biggest group of cry babies I have ever dealt with. They came down to fish in Chile, and granted the weather wasn't great and the fish weren't exactly cooperative, but they were shitty anglers! One of the ladies was on her third fishing trip ever, and she would quit everyday if she didn't catch something within the first two hours. So this kept up for several days, and I think it was day 4 when we decided to head to another river system about an hour and a half away. Go figure a storm blows in, it is about 11:30 and we had been fishing for an hour when three of the four people decide "it's too much, we are all done for the day." I think to myself, shit, this sucks we still have 5 miles of river to float out... I ask them repeatedly, "are you sure? the fishing is only going to pick up with this rain." "Yep, we're done, we'd rather be back at the lodge reading a book." I never directly say it, but I hinted to them several times that they were babies, and you can't expect to come to Chile and not have wind or rain. We are only a few miles from the rainforest after all.


Later on down the river I'm seeing rising fish and that never happened down there and I kid you not I had to beg these people, jump out of the boat, and hold it anchored to get them to fish. I mean who wouldn't want to fish to rising trout! It's a damn fishing trip.. To top the whole thing off I had to get a hold of my boss, who was supposed to run a shuttle down to drop off the other vehicle. Well he wasn't there yet because the trip was supposed to take eight hours, not three. So I had to wait with these whiny turds and unpack drinks and snacks out of the cooler while they sat on their asses and watched me pull the boat up on the bank. The boss shows up a half hour later and of course he doesn't have enough room in the vehicle for me. So I had to wait in the other vehicle for Sam and his client that WANTED to fish for 5 more hours. Awesome. 


Morals of the story: Don't be a cry baby. It's a fishing trip not a catching trip. Guides don't control the weather or your casting ability. 

No comments:

Post a Comment