We decided to write this blog as a way of sharing some of our stories from past experiences fishing, tying flies, guiding, and traveling. Most of which are completely 100% true except for the names of people, some stories are slightly embellished and some are mostly made up. It's really for you to figure it out and for us to have some fun writing down some of the truly good memories we have had while immersed in fly fishing.

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

"Treat" of the Week


One of the best parts of guiding in Alaska was the isolation of it all. No cell phones, limited internet, hardly any people. Even better yet was the three day, two night float trip out in the bush. Totally isolated, no boss to answer to, a satellite phone for emergencies and a pistol to thwart any brown bears. It was made even more enjoyable when I got to take two youthful clients who were excited about fishing and willing to help. This trip was no exception, I had two great clients Jevin and Keff, unfortunately this was trip wasn't one of my fondest trips despite the aforementioned truths. Day one of fishing was incredibly slow, we had only landed one fish by the time we made it to camp. Thankfully the fishing at camp was great because that totally changed the mood for the evening. Needless to say the fishing continued well into the night and by the time we were setting up the tents it was getting late and we were less careful than normal to properly stake down the rain flies. BIG MISTAKE... Needless to say that night the worst storm I have seen on the river just so happened to show it's ugly face. I woke up periodically throughout the night because the wind was easily gusting 60 mph. I would never have guessed what happened next. It was approximately 5:30 in the morning and I had a crazy sense that my tent was caving in! I woke up and exclaimed "What the F$#@ is going on?!" and that's when Keff said to me, perfectly calm, "Good morning Brian." I laughed of course but soon realized that he was still in his tent, and it was just on top of mine. I struggled to get on my rain jacket to face the gale force winds and rain. Jevin was outside already struggling to get their rain fly back down but his efforts were in vain because the wind was just too strong and continued to pull the stakes loose from the rocks. We took turns holding the tent down and searching for small boulders. After what seemed like hours of carrying boulders, we built up a wall high enough and with enough rocks to keep their tent steadfast to the gravel bar we were sleeping on. We got another hour of sleep or so before deciding to venture out for a day of fishing in the same terrible weather. The next night we fastened our tents down as securely as Fort Knox, I don't think anyone especially myself wanted to repeat that night again. We made it out safely and I think I can speak for the other two when I say that is a trip we will surely never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment