We decided to write this blog as a way of sharing some of our stories from past experiences fishing, tying flies, guiding, and traveling. Most of which are completely 100% true except for the names of people, some stories are slightly embellished and some are mostly made up. It's really for you to figure it out and for us to have some fun writing down some of the truly good memories we have had while immersed in fly fishing.

Friday, June 22, 2012

Treat of the Week


This week's treat of the week is brought to you by one of the many flats that I had the opportunity to fish while I was down visiting Brian in the Keys.  Everything was going fine and I was catching the usual barracuda while stealthily wading to cast at each new patch of mangroves.  Down here you never know what is going to come out of the mangroves to chase a fly.

When you are wading the flats you want to keep your eyes constantly moving for cruising shadows.  Today just happened to be a shadow that was a little bigger then the rest!  I looked behind me and I could see a huge shadow swimming a little too close to me while I was wading.  Sure I had watched 2 - 3 foot sharks check out what I was, but they did so in a harmless and controlled manner.  This shadow was way bigger then anything else that I have seen up to this point.    

What I had also forgot to mention was that that day was a little cloudy with a slight breeze.  When the sun goes behind the clouds you aren't given as clear of a view into the water and when the wind picks up it also camouflages the visibility even further.

Anyways, back to the story.  I am wet wading and this huge lurking shadow is being too curious for comfort.  I make a quick decision once the sun goes behind the clouds and the wind picks up.  Now I am left completely blind to where this thing might be swimming.  I had a mangrove system that I was fairly close to so I walked over slowly to the mangroves, climbed up and perched myself like a gargoyle to get a better view of this shadow.  I waited a few minutes and never got a chance to see what exactly this thing was. Which made matters worse because all I could think about was this shadow for the remainder of that day.  

I'm pretty sure it was a shark, because before I had seen the shadow I heard it's tail slap on the waters surface letting me know of it's whereabouts.  I will never find out what exactly it was but I knew I was at ease perched atop the mangroves.  

On that day you won shark, but we would get revenge the next day when we hooked into several of your friends on the Patch Man Do!               

2 comments:

  1. Kirk, I'm not sure how I met you or how I became your friend on facebook, but I think it was through a mutual friend - Joe Palchak. Anyways, this blog is killing me. Let me explain:

    I love fishing. Next to walking, its the thing I remember doing for the longest in my life. However, up to recently I just learned to fly fish (April). Your blog has been a part of fueling my tardiness to/from work recently (because I'm out fishing...).

    I'm up in New England. Central Mass specifically. I took an intro class with some NH guides and they taught me enough to be dangerous, or so I thought. Since April I've been on the streams, lakes and ponds trout fishing. I've read local stream guides, hatching reports and talked to many locals. The only thing I've caught is pan fish. Super frustrating.

    So I constantly see updates on how you and your pals are killing it when you go out fishing. Which is driving me nuts. So I stopped looking at your blog because I was felt like a giant failure. I did keep fishing though...no luck.

    Just got back from a trip home, Western New York. Did some bass fishing in a local stream no luck on the fly rod. Of course luck on the bait casting rod, but that's not what I want.

    So what do I want out of this post? Hm...well I guess I need someone to pat me on the back and assure me it will be alright. Just kidding... Honestly, I'm looking for some advise on how to keep fishing trout when the temperatures are up. My local streams are way over 60 deg, so how can you still fish trout? When you don't see anything hatching or activity above the water and on the surface what are your tactics? Did you guys struggle at first? When did you see the light?

    I need to catch a trout before I leave New England. I head to California in April. Any good fishing west of LA and points north?

    Austin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Austin,

    Well... first and foremost fly fishing is challenging. If it was easy we wouldn't enjoy it as much as we do. We all started exactly where you are right now. Frustrated and not sure if this was the right decision. Eventually however, it does start to make sense. I suggest in order for it to make better sense you need to learn more about the species you are after.

    So I'll start with addressing the issue of water temperature. The fish don't start to get stressed out until the water temperature hits the high 60's and gets into the 70's. Some people have said that 61 degrees Fahrenheit is the ideal feeding zone for trout. With that said, on hot days the best fishing is going to be at dawn and dusk. Look to throw terrestrial patterns like ants, crickets, and grasshoppers. Also, you will need to rely on midges and especially, small nymphs because during summer months this is the primary hatching insect (small mayflies and midges).

    As for California fishing, I know all the mountain streams in the Sierra's have trout, but if you are after good fishing for big fish look further north to the Sacramento River or the Trinity River.

    I hope this helps!

    Let us know if you have any more questions! If you ever want advice on something specific again just write us an email at flyfishingfiles1@gmail.com and we will address it in more detail as a blog.

    Brian

    ReplyDelete