We decided to write this blog as a way of sharing some of our stories from past experiences fishing, tying flies, guiding, and traveling. Most of which are completely 100% true except for the names of people, some stories are slightly embellished and some are mostly made up. It's really for you to figure it out and for us to have some fun writing down some of the truly good memories we have had while immersed in fly fishing.

Friday, June 1, 2012

Understanding Tarpon.

I have spent my entire life chasing trout, understanding trout, deciphering feeding patterns, learning the spawning cycles, the right fly patterns, how they react to certain climates and weather, and most importantly how to catch them. Now I feel like I'm standing on my head with one eye closed and no idea where to begin. 


I spent a lot of today chatting about Tarpon. About there feeding patterns and what they are looking for. The most important tip that I picked up today is that chances are the tarpon are not feeding. They are competitive eaters, they eat because they don't want their buddy swimming with them to get it before they do. 


Things I am thinking about when I am tying flies now. 


1. Color, what it appears to be in the water, the most important thing to think about is what the tarpon will perceive it as. I'm tying a variety of dark streamers right now, something similar to this EP tarpon streamer shown below.



2. Silhouette vs. Water depth. If you are fishing in the same water column depth as the tarpon throw a tall fly like an Enrico Puglesi Streamer. But, if you are fishing water where you are predominantly above or below the fish throw a crab pattern or something like it. The key is to get the fish's attention. 


Moral of the story, I have a lot to learn. I do however continue to watch videos like this to keep me pumped up about my next shot at a monster! 

No comments:

Post a Comment