We decided to write this blog as a way of sharing some of our stories from past experiences fishing, tying flies, guiding, and traveling. Most of which are completely 100% true except for the names of people, some stories are slightly embellished and some are mostly made up. It's really for you to figure it out and for us to have some fun writing down some of the truly good memories we have had while immersed in fly fishing.

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Airport Flat!

Today I finally had a real day off. No working as a mate, no traveling to Nashville for a wedding. It was truly just a day off to relax kick back... and hit the flats. I went to what the local guides refer to as the "airport flat," and as I'm figuring out here nothing is what your mind leads you to believe. The flat was rocky and weedy and because of the low sun and the wind I couldn't see a fish to save my life. Danielle was out there with me to help take pictures, soak up the sun, and grab my fly boxes to help pick out new flies. I went the first hour or so just blind casting to nothing, then I walked up on this shipwreck you see in the picture below and on my way I threw a blind cast hooking into what I can only assume to be a bonefish or a big fish because it went for a ruuuuuuun, but unfortunately I lost it. After that I hooked about a dozen barracuda and landed 5. Below are two of the smaller ones, I lost a ton of flies holding them up for pictures and having them shake their head and sever the line right in half. 

Today was awesome. I didn't land the big one, but that's what keeps us all fishing "the big one that got away." I did see a sizable shark by sizable I mean between 3 and 5 feet long which was crazy because I didn't see it until it was 10 feet away from us and it saw us and bolted.. Still awesome, saltwater fishing is crazy but I'm learning to love it. Time to tie up some flies to make up for all the ones I lost today to the razor sharp 'cuda teeth.




No comments:

Post a Comment