We decided to write this blog as a way of sharing some of our stories from past experiences fishing, tying flies, guiding, and traveling. Most of which are completely 100% true except for the names of people, some stories are slightly embellished and some are mostly made up. It's really for you to figure it out and for us to have some fun writing down some of the truly good memories we have had while immersed in fly fishing.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

First Peacock on the Fly!

Today I was supposed to hit the flats after work and due to some rain showers in the early afternoon and a conflict with the captain we had to take a rain check. However, the idea of hitting the flats and picking up a tarpon or anything got my blood pumping and I had the itch. I didn't have my gear with me because the captain said he would take care of it, so I had no choice but to race back to my house and get my stuff. Along the way I was seeing some fish boil in the canals, and some mullet jumping out of the water. So, I grabbed my stuff and headed to a canal that appeared off the beaten path. I rigged up the 10 wt. not really sure what to expect and just walked the bank.. Sure enough there were peacock bass just cruising the banks. It took me a while to find what they liked but it ended up being a chartreuse shrimp pattern I had tied up before I came down here. It's a crazy looking thing with krystal chenille and rubber legs but it had awesome action and they loved it! I only ended up landing a couple and getting a picture of this one but I had a blast doing it. I also hooked and lost my entire rig on an alligator gar, which was awesome! Anyway take a look at my first peacock bass!

In a different note. I watched a guy catch a turtle on a live fish. I helped him land it and release it... and now I really wish I would have taken a picture. It was kind of hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment