We decided to write this blog as a way of sharing some of our stories from past experiences fishing, tying flies, guiding, and traveling. Most of which are completely 100% true except for the names of people, some stories are slightly embellished and some are mostly made up. It's really for you to figure it out and for us to have some fun writing down some of the truly good memories we have had while immersed in fly fishing.

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Fly Spotlight

This week we decided to bring you a fly from the north east and a fly from the south east! I am bring to the public a very new fly I recently created. It has hooked a bonefish and landed several barracuda and not to mention I think it looks pretty damn cool! I call it the shrimp-opotamus check it out!








Shrimp-opotamus at work!
Recipe:
Hook: TMC 811S 1/0
Thread: GSP 200 denier Red
Eyes: Lead painted red medium
Body: Krystal Hackle bonefish tan
Tail/ Belly: Ginger rabbit strip with 6-8 strands of krystal flash
Legs: Sili Legs Pumpkin barred


Green Drakes have been all over a variety of waters in Central Pennsylvania so the buzz has created a lot of fly-fisherman to spend a night on the stream.  Here is a fly that I enjoy going to once the Green Drakes are on the water.  I've used this fly on Penns Creek, Fishing Creek and the Little Juniata and had great success on all of those streams.  


Another cool pattern that I've learned how to tie recently is the Foam Extended Body Green Drake Spinner.  I've always picked up the extended bodied flies at fly shops to look and see how they were tied but when the Green Drake hatch was approaching I thought it was a good time to learn the pattern. There is a great video posted on YouTube that showed me just how to tie the Foam Extended Body Green Drake Spinner pattern.  Click the link to view and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment